Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

What is your New Year Resolution?

I know it's a bit too early to talk about our New Year's Resolution, but never the less, I wouldn't mind talking about it anyway. Since I found out the real deal about keeping a resolution rolling.

Don't plan it, just do it!


Image from wallout.com

1) My failed exercise
Most of the time I failed with my resolutions is because I failed to plan earlier. For example I forgot to accommodate various different distractions. For example; I plan to exercise and told myself to get up earlier in the morning to do it. But then realized that I've to get up much more earlier, as I need more time to cool down before I go to work. And the night before I've got this awesome movie to watch or a cool game to clock. But how was to know that I had to cool down for such a long time? Or that the stupid movie lasted for 3 hours? or the game isn't as short as I was told? So then I realized, the more I plan it, the more i'll fail in doing it.




2) Business plans? who needs it
In other areas, I have business plans, but they never began. It's not that the business idea is bad, or that the plan wouldn't work. Seriously, all plans works if you have it as simple as this. "I plan to be a millionaire" obviously, if you had that kind of plan, you need to go with the flow, that whatever opportunity that comes to you, you'll just grab it and reap it's rewards. Like the old saying, "don't put all your eggs in one basket", so this is "don't collect all your eggs in one basket" it's like if one basket have a hole, you eggs will be gone, but if there's many baskets, you'll just lose some eggs.


image from fathersez.com


3) To Smoke or Not to smoke?
Then there's the part where I've been trying to quit smoking. Well, I planned to quit smoking by using various method I've found over the net, I've purchased from the stores, and from listening to advise from ex-smokers. Well the plan is brilliant, tiers and tiers of back-ups to strengthen the first one, but upon execution, it failed over and over again. So how did I manage to stop smoking now? determination... not really, self-control.. never had it, setting up the whole house to look like an anti-smokers's den... absolutely not. 

All I did was, going with the flow. If I don't have a cigarette and I really need a puff, then if there's a TV nearby, I'll sit and watch TV, If there's computer nearby, I'll pull out some thing interesting and keep myself occupied, if there's nothing nearby to excite me until I forget about it, well, I'll just smoke a puff or two. This went on for almost 2 years. An as brilliant as my simple plan "Quit Smoking With The Flow" I've hadn't had a puff for 3 months now. Yes I've cravings, but it's more manageable now. And I definitely wont lie that I'll never smoke a puff or two again, but hey, at least it's now '1 stick in 3 months' vs '20 sticks a day'.

Conclusion
As a conclusion with not planning and just doing it, I would like you to think about this, what would you like your New Year Resolution to be and how well can it go with the flow. Make sure your 'Plan is absolutely flexible. How? simple, make sure your goal is clear, eg "stop drinking", then make sure it's flexible, eg "I'll only drink if necessary", then make sure it's renewed on weekly basis,eg "Instead of drinking, I'll  drag my drinking buddies to go play bowling for this evening" Heck! you are even helping your buddies to stop drinking without them even knowing! p.s. I've quit drinking for a long time now, but only in occasions when I really need to have a glass of wine for a toast.

Please leave a comment on what your resolution may be. It'll be interesting to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment